Job Title: Manager
Report to: President
Location: New York, NY
General Position Summary
This position is responsible for overseeing all the activities involved in accounting functions and financial reporting as well as overseeing all the activities of staff members in the department. This position is also responsible for making recommendations to the President for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting.
Primary Job Functions 80%
Management and Duties
● Must meet the deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general documents
and financial reporting.
● Applies a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
● Ensures an accurate and timely close on monthly, quarterly, and annually.
● Ensures and develops reports for all monthly financial information in a timely manner.
● Initiates and leads budget and forecasting activities.
● Monitors and analyzes departments’ workflows in order to develop more efficient procedures.
● Manages resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
● Maintains an excellent communication with other departments to verify transaction report data and issues.
● Advises staff members regarding the handling of non-routine transactions.
● Responds to the inquiries from the President regarding financial results, special reporting requests, etc.
● Works with the retained CPA firm to ensure a clean and timely year end audit and quarterly reviews.
● Assists in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
● Provides training to new and existing staff as needed.
● Monitors cash deposition, plans effective cash management.
Secondary Job Functions 10%
Other & Miscellaneous
● Performs special projects and accounting related duties assigned by the upper managements.
Common Job Functions 10%
● Contribute to Team Effort
Be flexible in work assignments by covering for your staff members as needed and assisting in the transition of new staff members.
● Work Well with Other Staff
Contribute to the professional office environment; by coaching staff members when necessary, taking initiative, being cooperative, and understanding how this position affects the company’s bottom-line.
● Act on Constructive Feedback
Listen to feedback given by peers, supervisors and customers, and use it to improve performance.
● Maintain Professional and Technical Knowledge
Attend educational workshops, review professional publications, and establish personal networks.
● Seek Continual Improvement
Examine departmental work processes, research procedures, administrative procedures, etc.; recommend changes where appropriate; and develop skills by learning the use of software applications. Also make efforts to expand knowledge about travel industry.
● Language Skills
Read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and/or government regulations in English and Japanese
Write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals in English and Japanese
Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, staff, clients, customers, and the general public in English and Japanese
● Mathematical Skills
Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area circumstance, and volume
● Reasoning Abilities
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
Ability to analyse information and solve problems on a complex level in various situations
● Other Required Skills
Must be tactful, mature, and flexible
Must have the ability to review, assess and understand technical documents, drawings and other documents with no advance exposure and then engage in discussions internally and with customers
Must have the ability to analyze and utilize legal/financial documents (contracts, purchase orders, etc.)
Must be able to use a computer and such applications as Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel
❖ Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Accounting, Finance or Business Management with an emphasis in Accounting
❖ Five to six years of previous experience in the same or similar position is preferred; CPA preferred