We are seeking an Assistant Director to support its rapidly expanding real estate portfolio. The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of real estate and significant experience selecting, underwriting, and monitoring commingled funds in the U.S. Existing relationships with managers and knowledge across sectors and risk levels is particularly beneficial. The position is based in New York.
We are an investment management subsidiary of major Insurance Company in Japan focused on managing foreign investments for the general account. We are one of the largest insurance companies globally with over $700 billion of assets.
• Support the sourcing, selection and diligence of fund investments for an actively growing real estate portfolio.
• Perform comprehensive due diligence of investment opportunities, including review of strategy, structure, manager capabilities, track record analysis and investment specific risks.
• Preparation of detailed investment memorandum and presentation of investment recommendations to global investment committee.
• Collaborate with a global team in the fund selection and portfolio construction process, considering points of view and engaging in open dialogue.
• Participate in meetings and/or site visits to meet with members across each manager’s platform and tour representative assets for the proposed strategy, as required.
• Maintain and expand network of relationships to seek out best-in-class investment managers and explore new investment trends.
• Liaise with external legal and tax counsel to negotiate protective and preferential terms for new and existing investments as well as ad hoc matters that arise during normal course of investment life cycle.
• Monitor the existing portfolio through quarterly reviews of investments, regular meetings with managers, investment announcements and ad hoc requests from the parent company.
• Engage in implementation of ESG initiatives and measurement across portfolio.
• Collaborate with the team on reporting to the parent company, including quarterly reporting, investment activities, and market updates.
• Attend investment conferences and seminars to promote company awareness and involvement in the industry.
• Facilitate operations team in managing investment related activities.
• Mentor junior team members to build team’s understanding and capabilities.
• Assist with infrastructure investments and expansion of the real assets focus, as needed.
• Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
• Strong academic background including Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business/Real Estate related field. MBA and/or progress toward CFA designation is preferred.
• 4+ years of relevant experience in real estate, preferably with an institutional investor (including insurance company, pension fund, endowment, foundation, SWF or family office), investment
consultant, investment manager, or private equity real estate firm.
• Full understanding of financial metrics and concepts.
• Experience and professional manner in interacting directly in-person with senior members of investment community.
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as necessary.
• Strong command of MS Office software, including advanced Excel skills; proficiency with Bloomberg and related automated research tools a plus.
• Excellent organizational, business writing and verbal communication skills.
• Detail oriented, pro-active and able to excel in a highly collaborative global team.
• A flexible team player able to adapt to change.